|Saint Andrew’s Church is a Grade II listed building. It was built in 1890 to the designs of the architect E. W. Mountford, in the Victorian Gothic style. It has been admired by Sir John Betjeman, among others, and contains fine examples of metalwork and brickwork.|
In 2010 the church garden was transformed into an accessible garden for the local community. The project was funded by Community Spaces (a Big Lottery fund), SITA Trust, Viridor Credits, the City Bridge Trust and the Ninds Church Trust.
The garden is maintained by volunteers under the direction of a professional gardener. To volunteer, please contact the Parish Office.
|Photo showing an aerial view of the church and newly renovated south garden.|
The clock outside the front of the building, overhanging the pavement and dated 1910, is commemorated on a brass plaque inside the church:
To the glory of God and in loving memory of his late Majesty King Edward VII. The clock on this church was erected by the residents of Earlsfield. 8th February 1911.
The clock is now maintained by the local authority. Its chime has been disconnected, and it is now powered by an electric motor in the North turret, with gearing leading to the clock faces. These faces are illuminated at night.